Wednesday, January 14, 2004

COVERS ABOUND

Just a personal observation...and perhaps indicative that I am "of a certain age".

Are you aware that covers, or remakes are doing well on the pop charts these days? Or, are you even aware that these are remakes? (Yes, Erin, I'm talking to you!)

The easiest one to spot is "Its My Life" by No Doubt. But this catchy tune made its first trip around the block in the 80s when it was a hit for the British group Talk Talk.

But how many of the pups out there know that your parents were listening to "Behind Blue Eyes" (currently covered by Limp Bizkit) 32 years ago in 1971. That makes the song older than most of the band members. Credit "The Who" for that nice ballad.

And if you've enjoyed that catchy tune out by Sheryl Crow, "The First Cut is the Deepest"...well, Sheryl has some folks to thanks as well. Rod Stewart had a hit with this song in 1976...but he borrowed the song from its author Cat Stevens (nee Stephen Demetri Georgiou in 1948, later converted to Islam adopting the name Yusuf Islam). And according to this website the song has been covered by at least 5 other performers as well.

Of course, I remember being in high school and learning that some of my favorite songs were remakes. "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "I Only Have Eyes For You" are two that I remember especially.

Anyway...it just occured to me that covers - remakes if you will - are hot items today. Which somehow proves that the good stuff is timeless.


No comments: